Thursday 13 June 2013

Nilox Foolish 1080p Action Camera

Nilox may not be a name you are familiar with, I certainly had not heard about them until a rep popped one into my hand and said have a go. With GoPro being the dominant force in action cameras for so long I thought it only prudent to try the opposition!

The Nilox Foolish Cam


First impressions were nothing but all good! The box is slightly larger than that of a Go Pro but most likely that is due to the amount of items in the box.

In the box were,

1080p camera
Removable LCD display
2 x Waterproof enclosures {one for LCD one for without}
USB lead
AV lead,
Battery
Class 4 4GB micro SD card and adapter
2 stick on helmet mounts
A variety of other mounts and adapters
As well as instruction manuals.



The controls are much simpler than the GoPro, there are 2 capture buttons next to each other one for 8MP stills the other for 1080p recording. The on/off switch is just that and the LCD display is easy to read even while riding. The really good stuff came when I started to play, The LCD screen made it easy to line up shots as long as the camera was not on my head however with a couple of buttons the lazer sync was activated and I could see exactly where the cam was pointing.



Battery life depends on how much footage you watch back at the time but I got 2.5 hours of footage last Sunday and we watched over half an hour of that back straight away. {I crashed a few times.......}

Still shot from the Nilox Foolish camera


Here is a link to my Youtube Channel for a sample of footage from the cam in question. The only editing done on these clips are turning 90 degrees for a couple.

Downsides to the Nilox is that the helmet mounts rattle depending which way I put my camera on, i.e. if the clip comes from the back, no rattle, clip at front, rattle, and there is no side of helmet mount option in the box that allows you to mount the camera horizontal rather than vertically but seeing as it has a universal tripod mount on the cam and both waterproof cases have this as well this is irrelevant and just means a quick trip to ebay for any mount you want!

Overall the little cam has impressed me more than the GoPro ever did, Having now owned both I can honestly say I am converted. The Nilox is more usable and with the addition of the Lazersync and LCD you should never miss a shot.

So there it is, ease of use, simplicity, more bits in a box than GoPro can shake a stick at and a RRP here in Britain of £199.99. Need any other reasons???

July 3rd EDIT: I am currently uploading some low light footage from a ride last night with a couple of mates, the image quality is rather poorer than I expected but then again this camera does not have a built in light, Maybe an addition for future models?








No comments:

Post a Comment